Tuesday, December 9, 2008

As Good As

In poly, I admit I have an inner accountant who keeps careful track of things. This is not necessarily a useful or good thing, because my inner accountant can list lots of ways in which I am continually grasping the shorter end of the poly stick. There is a serious lack of parity in our poly arrangement. I do have total freedom to pursue other relationships, and have been encouraged to do just that, not only for my own benefit and possible remembering of how wonderful poly can be, but also to balance the scales. Perhaps, not so much to balance the lover part of the scale, but to balance the experience part. Where he could see if he has poly issues that would arise (or not) if I were to be with another...so I could experience the negotiating nights out and information sharing parts. Maybe even so we could swap relationship war stories and give and get dating advice.

But geez...I have issues. I hate dating. For him dating is fun...getting to know other personalities and sharing time with someone new. For me, it's like a job interview...Can I see myself sharing popcorn and a movie with this person? Will the way this guy blows air through his nose when he laughs be endearing or get on my nerves? Wouldn't I really be having more fun at home with my cat and book, than listening to this guy dissect corporate lunches?

I am a pain in the ass when it comes to dating. I get all weirded out, and then I start to withdraw emotionally. And the other person doesn't understand why I am suddenly being different. Maybe I don't want to inflict my particular brand of dating fussiness on innocent people. Maybe I have too many intimacy issues to be that close to many people. I don't know.

I am certainly more prone towards being an introvert though, and I often wonder if poly is more of an extrovert sport. Extroverts get a charge out of social gatherings...introverts tend to be drained after them, and we need some sort of healthy alone time to people time ratio to remain sane.

So anyhow...since I don't very often cash in on my poly freedom...my inner accountant has another way of balancing experiences. It is more okay if I have something that I can do that is as good as him being out with a lover. Sometimes, I really really just need a night home alone, so while he is out, I get that. Sometimes, I just need a solid night's sleep alone in my own bed. But sometimes...I need something more. Tonight was one of those nights.

Our friend Beth is in town visiting. While at one time the three of us were definitely lovers, the sexual energy has shifted to the two of them. I am not sure exactly why or how this came to be. It could well be that she does have an interest, but I have been hurt by her and them in the past...and I think I just don't want to be that emotionally vulnerable to her...or them again. I am not invested and do not want to be part of this sexual threesome.

Maybe my feelings will change this week maybe not. It's been a precarious balance the past few times when we have been together, unless she has put up a boundary that she doesn't want to be sexual either. Then he is disappointed, but we all are on the same page. But things seems to have kindled between the two of them since they spend a week together at a festival last summer. So the expectation of the two of them being sexual is there.

Anyhow, Beth came into town on Monday. And he and she got together for lunch. She had a hotel tonight, and I suggested that he should go there and be with her, and I would be fine with that. Really, that was fine. But then dinner first with me was put on the table by her/them. I told him no...it would be easier to just have him go, and I would catch up with them Wednesday. Somehow, the three of us having dinner, and then me watching the two of them go off to be together did not appeal. "She wants to see you, maybe know for sure that you are okay." he said. I said, "I am okay, but it would be easier for me not to do dinner...can't you just have dinner and go? I could use a night alone..." (Unspoken subtext..."Can't we just once do what would be easier for me?")

Naturally, we all had to have dinner together. But it was going to be all okay, because I had another event set up after dinner...one that was as good as him being with a lover (remember my bar is often low on this). I had an invitation to have an evening of drinking and talking with friends, in a hot tub. It sounded heavenly. Today was frustrating and awful on many levels...but I knew I had that hot tub trump card coming at the end of the day. No matter what...I would end the evening with good friends, chianti, and a hot tub which had a little fountain on the side...

So I went to dinner with my partner and Beth. And it was good to see her. And it was fun. I was even dealing with them discussing happy memories of a vacation they went on together. Nothing mattered. It was fine. Who cared when a hot tub was in my near future? All was well.

Until I got the text telling me the hot tub thing was off.

Now, I not only did not have something as good as...I had something "as good as" canceled. My mood seriously crashed. Now, I felt bullied into the dinner, and set up by the Universe for a fall. So, we all stood up to leave. I bid them farewell and I drove home taking a different route so I didn't have to be behind them until they turned off for the hotel.

So I am home alone tonight, sipping my bitter tea, and awash in self pity. It's not a proud moment. I am not trying to be a martyr, but this sucks. At least they are in the hotel though, and not down the hall where I would have to tip toe by their room with fingers in my ears as I made my way to the bathroom...so on that count I am ahead.

5 comments:

Sue said...

I do think there is something to the introvert/extrovert dichotomy in poly relating styles. But, I really don't think that is all of it. I think there are differences in how some of us DO relationship.

I really think that you and I are alike on this one. I know, for my own self, that I don't invest in relationships partway. If I am going to "love" someone, that is going to be an all and all thing for me. I am prone to falling completely, stupidly, ridiculously in love. I haven't done it very often, but I've done it often enough to know that it is my way. Given that reality, the poly trick of reserving bits and pieces of my loving for different partners seems next to impossible. I am pretty darn sure that if I went out to relate to someone sort of casually, I'd either get very tired of messing with their foibles, or I'd love them totally, and then I'd find myself in a quandry. Because total is total. For me. I know it isn't the way other people do it. Himself manages to fall easily and somewhat loosely into relationships, and that works for Him. Sometimes I think that it would be good for Him to experience the dynamic the other direction, but I know I don't have the capacity to fall into something that isn't ENORMOUS for me. And then what?

Anyway, I have hijacked your comments long enough. I am so sorry that you got set up and dropped into the pit last night. Sometimes the whole balance thing just is not possible. It isn't fair and it does hurt. Maybe you should put my phone number in that slot that is labeled "I need something to do that is good." We don't have a hot tub, but there is a sauna on the property... ;-)

hugs, swan

Shhhhh.... said...

Oh Swan...hi-jack away! No one reads this but your household anyhow! But, actually, I think you are right in the all or nothing aspect. I need to feel the rush of attraction for someone, and then all is well. It's easy. I need to think on that a bit more.

You are definately a haven for me, and certainly "as good as" if I need a night away from home while he is otherwise occupied.

I also survived Microbiology! YAY. I am not sure of my grade, I had a low B on the midterm, and a low A on the final...maybe with class participation I can get an A...but whatever. It's OVER, and I have a break till January.

Anonymous said...

Let me re-echo swan's invitation, and shout hooray for the passage of micro-biology. The end of your professional hazing is coming near thank god.

I wish all this were easier. You are paying a lot of dues in your life. I hope that means a period of huge "pay days" is in your near future.

All the best,

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.

Anonymous said...

I am not a huge commenter to anyone's journal but this post 'hit the spot". I consider myself mono, while my partner is very much poly. There is also a heavy 24/7 M/s dynamic between us. I am his slave, but I am also his primary partner.

While I identify as monogomous, I also enjoy thinking of relaxing in someone else's arms, or "making out" with other slaves, or even playing with other tops in our area. And, recently, I have received a few indications from various people that they would love to do the same. Yet I just cannot act on them! When He is away on a date, as he was this past Saturday, I wound up home alone at like 9:15 wondering why in the hell I wasn't on a date, as he has made it perfectly clear that with a few boundaries I am free to do so.

But I don't wanna. I simply don't have the true desire, when it comes down to it, to call my own bluff and connect with someone else. Sure, when I know he is with the other girl at lunch, or when they are sharing a play date, it makes me feel good to say, "Hey! *I* am going to date TOO so THERE!" lol, but I never actually DO it. Because again, I don't want to.

I wish I could sometimes, but i just really don't have any interest when it comes to seeing others. Quite the quandry sometimes.

Sorry my comment was so long but I can really empathize with what you seem to be experiencing.

I look forward to reading and feeling more!

~melissa

Shhhhh.... said...

Hi Melissa:)

I'm not a huge poster...so we should get along fine! I am in between classes, so I may be a bit more active till mid January, then I will likely disappear, and go back to my average posting rate, which is about once a month.

Nice to "meet" you...