Forgive me Blogger, for it has been many weeks since my last post. All I can say, was that I was in a bear of a class. And when it was over, I only had a weekend off before the next one started. In my head, I was thinking this new class would be, oh, I don't know...a bunny class?
It's not.
The material is more suited to what I do, and the reading is far easier to absorb than all the technical neuroanatomy and brainwave identification stuff. But this teacher wants to make sure we are still spending at least eight to ten hours a week doing readings and homework. And the homework is all due Sunday night, so there is no taking some time off and doubling up somewhere else.
I also had some drama over the grade for the last class. It was one of those "final heavy" deals. The final supposedly counted for 80% of the course grade. The final was tough but fair with some questions taken directly from our quizzes. I felt pretty good when it was over. There were a few questions I had to guess on, and one easy question I missed because of stupidity...but all in all I thought I did okay.
It took two weeks for the school to grade my exam, and it came back with a score of 69. Now. Hmmm. If that was a raw score of 69/75, then I some how managed to Rock the Final, and I would have gotten an A in the second hardest class in the program. It seemed unlikely that I would have done this well. On the other hand, if the 69 was a percentage, than I had done far worse on the final than I thought. Also, unlikely. I called the school, and they told me the grade was a percentage, which meant that I had scored a high D on the test, and I thought that probably the best I could hope for was a C in the class.
I was pretty upset. That would mean that I made a C and a C+ in two of the core classes. And my GPA would really drop. And my self esteem would really drop. If I had managed to pull and A, I would have felt smart and confident. If I received a C, I would feel unworthy. I worked so hard in that class, and all I would have to show would be a stinkin C? I know I chose a hard school. I would have to content myself that it was better to be a C student at Harvard, then an A student at State College U, however that concept goes. In the course of this, I have often wished I chose an easier road.
Yesterday, I got the grade. And it was.... a B!!!
There must have been some curve on that test. Or God smiled. Or something. I think there was some issue in the grading. I caught a typo on the test, which changed an answer from C to D. The teacher said this was a new error, so the school had done something with the test. Maybe they answer key was wrong and we all scored low on the test to create a huge curve. I don't know, but I am happily taking my B to the bank.
In dance news, we are gearing up for a show in November. We are performing only one formal number, but it is all new moves. So my brain when not being in overdrive from school, is trying to coordinate my limbs a la the Rat in Ratatouille, with his boy Linquini.
Aside from all that, I am an exhausted ball of stress between general life stress and work, which I don't even want to get into. I scheduled a much needed massage for tomorrow...hopefully that will help.
Those are the highlights of life for now...work, school, dance, sleep, work, school, dance, sleep. Boyfriend is also on a killer stress filled schedule, and I usually see him only as he tumbles into bed late at night to sleep...which is all we have had time to do together lately...
I will try and blog about more interesting things, but that would mean interesting things would need to happen. Universe?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
congratulations on that B!!! That should be more than just a "whew!" That should be cause for serious celebration.
As for all the rest, what can you do but hang in and hope for the break that must be out there somewhere?
Sending you hugs.
swan
Yes...a B is wonderful, especially in that class. No complaints, no regrets...just sweet relief that THAT is over.
Post a Comment