Friday, November 9, 2007

Thou Shall Not Defeat Me, Unit 6


Oh how I wish Unit 6 was some sort of annoying little droid monster, and I was engaged in a mighty video game battle with it...but alas no.

Unit 6: Audiologic Rehabilitation in the Aging Population.

Actually, quite an interesting unit (if you are an audiology geek). The readings were digestible. Unit 6 was due Halloween weekend. I got an extension because there was so much going on. (I mean puh-leeze, I do have a life.) Normally, I would have been able to wrap up the homework the Mon or Tues following the Sunday it was actually due. I never dreamed nearly two weeks later I would still be staring at a nearly blank Word document.

Tonight is my third major attempt to sit down and, like Nike says...JUST DO IT.

I don't know what the deal is, but I find myself staring at the computer screen, fingers poised to tap out brilliance...and...

nada.

I have, like severe writer's block, dude.

Every word is a struggle to string together with another word. And I don't know what the hell I am talking about on these questions.

She wants us to incorporate general rehab strategies (as in the ones a therapist might use with an alcoholic) to an adult hearing aid user. And no matter how I look at it...these things seem... so very different. One has a disease, a life ruining addiction, while the other has an impairment that can be corrected (at least partially) with a hearing aid. You send the alcoholic to a residential treatment center, or weekly (or daily) AA meetings. You teach the hearing aid user how to open the battery door and put the battery in.

I mean, sure...you can do some sort of "therapy" with the hearing impaired guy. You might do auditory training to help him learn to discriminate speech at lower signal to noise ratios (if this is even possible with your patient's central auditory processing ability)....but applying alcoholic rehab strategies to the hearing impaired patient...seems...overkill. Everything I try and write on this sounds ridiculous...and sometimes even laughable. I can imagine showing this "plan" to my non doctoral audiology friends at the next meet up. "Is that what they are teaching you over at Ivory Tower U?" I can just hear the guffaws and derision while they pass me my Honey Brown.

Yet, I have to hand in something. And I am really sick of this stupid unit hanging over my head. I want to be working on Unit 8, which is due Sunday.

So, I am trying to force myself to get something on paper that I can email in...

God love ya, Unit 6.

No comments: