Friday, December 21, 2007

The Longest Night of the Year


Although I think I am becoming more and more of an agnostic, as the below resonates with me as much as anything these days...

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I have to say, I ask, if it matters, that I be forgiven for anything I may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness.

Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to insure any possible benefit for which I may be eligible after the destruction of my body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a way as to insure my receiving said benefit.

I ask this in my capacity as my elected intermediary between myself and that which might not be myself, but which may have an interest in the matter of my receiving as much of said benefit as it is possible for me to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony.

Or

O God, if there is a god, save
my soul, if I have a soul. - Ernest Renan


Regardless...I still am caught by the charm of the longest night of the year, and the hope that marks the returning of the Sun. For each day, starting after this night, the light we are granted, grows a bit longer, if only by seconds at first.

The Winter makes me want to curl up with books, cats, and tea and sit in my chair by the window to watch snow dancing its way down to Earth...Although, where I live, the reality seems to be long gray rainy days rather the gently falling snow of my childhood in Wisconsin.

Tonight, we are going to a Solstice gathering, which begins at Sundown and will continue until Sunrise...although, I think my party time frame will be more 8pm-1:30am. I want to at least stay for the moment of the true Solstice which is precisely at 1:08 A.M. EST (06:08 UT).

We will bring candles to light our way, and blankets to keep warm under the stars. I am sure I will spend my time in the dark reflecting on the past year and resolutions for the next...and staying cozy in the firelight with wine, music, and good friends...

Peace to all...


2 comments:

Sue said...

and in the darkest night of the year -- we are all gifted with the return of the light... is this not enough for us each and all?

much joy and happiness!

hugs, swan

Anonymous said...

IO SATURNALIA!:)

To you and him both.

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.