Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ch Ch Ch Changes

It's midterm week. Already. I have 5 units of microbiology to review and digest, and I have 8 days in which to pick my poison (the time I take the exam).

School has really changed me. It's made me better, smarter, and more capable. I guess that's what you get for 30 K....or whatever my final student loan bill will be. Normally, I would be totally freaked about a midterm in microbiology...but I feel confident I can do this. And I will get to studying instead of blogging pretty soon. :)

I feel I at some sort of crossroads careerwise. A friend sent me a job opening for a research audiologist here in my city. The salary would be double and a half to triple what I make. The job isn't quite right for me...I saw that when you had to send a list of your published and unpublished research (of which I have none). But...I could see working for this outfit at a rung below research scientist. I could be the clinical person gathering data.

I am so bored at work I could scream. I am better than this (now), and I am tired of having a job...I want more. It's not that what I do isn't good or productive. Everyday I help people hear better, and that is fulfilling...but I have done this for nearly 16 years. The job I looked at would be on the other end of where I am now. I would be involved in trying to prevent hearing loss rather than figuring out how to fix loss once one has it. Like I said the head research scientist position isn't right for me, but seeing some possibilities has fueled a desire to reach for more once I have this degree. Or before.

I have to do a project to complete my program. Maybe I could contact them to try and do research with them. They would get to know me, and I would then have a published or unpublished piece of research. Maybe they would hire me. Maybe they would help pay off some of this loan. Maybe they would pay double my salary!

It's all in the realm of pipe dreams for now, but....it feels like the winds of change and good fortune could be blowing my way. I hope so. I think I am ready.

2 comments:

Sue said...

Wow! This sounds way different, and way better than I've heard you before. I am thrilled and delighted for you! Congratulations.

hugs, swan

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to discover that the horrendous ordeal they have put you through has in fact benefitted you. And think of the wondrous developments that not only professional fulfillment but additional wealth will be able to bring to you life.

It can't begin too soon.

Don't forget those you knew you back when Dr._________:)

All the best on your midterms.

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.