
The last two weeks, I feel like I have seeing glimpses into how civilization will crumble. Sunday the 14th, winds from hurricane Ike tore through the heartland and knocked out power for several days. The first night it was romantic and fun. We lit candles, wondered how long the power would be out, and fell asleep in blissful quiet. The next day, work was canceled as the entire city was still without power. I used the day to switch out summer for winter clothes and putter around the house with what light filtered in through the windows. Meanwhile, there was a run on ice, batteries, and gasoline. It became a quest to find these items around town. Also, when the apocalypse comes, you won't be able to use your credit cards...so plan on a cash only society.
During this dark time, we said goodbye to my partner's mother in a sweet farewell memorial that was meaningful to us...but not "christian" enough for some in his mother's circle. I was telling one of my pagan friends that the discomfort of two pious individuals in particular was palpable. My friend laughed and said, nothing is ever christian enough for those types of folks anyhow. The thing is, my partner's mother wasn't really a christian, although she leaned heavily on a christian friend at the end of her life, and I know they prayed together. So we had that special friend do a prayer for her. He was an ingredient in the memorial of her life, as was right...but a heavily christian farewell would have been a lie. We honored her in the voices of her friends and family, in poetry, and in a farewell from the Beatles song "In my life". We are adjusting to the reality of her being gone. It still feels strange.
Power returned to us three days later, and then we left for Asheville, NC to attend bellydance/band camp. The women took dancing classes, while the guys took musician's classes. It was quite a community of merriment and art. I liked drifting by tables and hearing things like "no, it was in C minor" or "can you do shimmy undulations?". I bought some stuff from the vendors, including a fringe skirt I can't wait to wear.
But when we left, we found we were in the middle of a gas shortage. There was no gas in the mountains at all. This is what happens in a gas crisis. The gas stations take all the pricing down, and they bag the pumps. We found no gas from Asheville to the TN border. There were signs still up from when they had gas allowing only $25 per customer. The evening news reported that police had to monitor gas stations where gas was sold because tempers flared amongst the people who had waited in line for hours...by the time we left, police were not necessary as there was no gas to fight over. We made it to Tennessee by coasting down mountain roads in neutral and being grateful that we had taken my small gas efficient car on this trip. I don't know what we would have done if we had been stranded. As far as I know, there still do not have gas there.
Now I find myself back in normalcy, with my life divided between dance and school (and work). I have a few Halloween things booked, the most exciting is a Goth Bellydance Show called Carnival of Evil, of which the theme is childhood nightmares. So people are dancing things like the Monster under the Bed...Our group is doing a twist on Wizard of Oz. Let's just say...Dorothy doesn't make it to the Emerald City. Today, I am dancing at a Village Market Day at the Studio, and our class has a complicated choreography to the Marilyn Manson version of "this is halloween" on Oct 11.
School is moving along as well. I am in Class 9 of 10. Here is the probable schedule...
Sept-Dec Class 9
Jan-Mar Class 10
April: Comprehensive Finals (5 Day Exam :( )
Fall 1 Doctoral Project
Fall 2 Doctoral Project
December 2009 GRADUATE!!!
So today I am dancing in Wonder Woman colors. I have red and blue...but I need to search for something yellow or gold. Off for the hunt!

2 comments:
OK. I'm not sure that "boring" means what you seem to think it means. It sounds to me like your life has been anything but boring! Hurricanes and spiritually diverse memorials and forays into the scarce-gas wilderness and dancing and studying and continual movement toward the future that you envision from yourself seems a powerful, evocative, and challenging convergence of movements and moments in your life. Perhaps you are not bored but merely exhausted?
hugs, swan
Nice reframe thanks...
Post a Comment