Saturday, March 31, 2007

And That Too, Passed

Oh wow. The post I have been waiting to write for 3 months. THE HELL CLASS HAS ENDED! It was grueling. The final was brutal. I took Wednesday off to take the test. The final was 19 pages long, 90 multiple choice, with 5 possible answers. And shit like " only A and B are correct", "only A and C are correct". all of the above, none of the above....

The person I thought was going to do well, wrote me this:

HOLY CRAP!!!!

I thought I was prepared but that was insane! Give me a
break - I had heard it was bad but this takes the cake.
Hopefully nobody feels really good about it and throws the
curve way off!

Hope you managed to pass!


Ah, yes, the curve...our only hope. Honestly, I don't understand why you would put students through the meat grinder like this. I think if nearly everyone fails the final...there is a problem with either the class, the teacher, or the final itself....There were things on the final, I had never seen before. He has taught this class for 8 years, and I think he has changed things. Readings were dropped. Other readings were added. But the final may have reflected some dropped material. AND HE EXPECTED US TO MEMORIZE CHARTS AND GRAPHS!!!!

WTF? One question actually said "I don't expect you to have memorized the Pearson et al chart on normalized language reception, but given someone with a 50 dB loss at 3000 Hz, what would you expect their understanding of nonsense syllables to be, unaided? Hello? You need to have the chart in front of you or memorized to answer this...ARGH!

Anyhow...it's over. I did the best I could, and that is that. A little voice in my head keeps repeating, "You passed the class", but that is all I have. At least 3% outright fail, and must take the course over. So if I am one of those, at least I won't be alone.

I have a 12 week break before the second hardest class of the program. I have heard that one is challenging, but a lot more straight forward than this was. I won't know my grade for a couple of weeks. Really, a C would be great, thank you very much. Anything, just pass me please. I can't deal with the thought of having to face with this class again...

1 comment:

Sue said...

For some things in life there is only this: "when it is over, it is over..." this might be one of those. I hope you passed and do not have to go back through this. Enjoy your time off.

swan