Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Stunned...

Holy cow. I somehow managed to do even better on my final than I did on my midterm! I got a 96! I was expecting something in the 80s, fearing something in the 70s. She is either a kind grader...or I seriously kicked ass! There was no curve on my grade. I was ecstatic with a 93 on the midterm, but I knew I had done okay on that one. This was truly a shock...though a wonderfully pleasant one!

Now what is amusing...is that I am ticked beyond belief over a quiz in my new class. I got a 4/5...which is not a big deal, except, I fail to see WHAT he could possibly have deducted a point on. It was a straight forward open book kind of easy quiz. He has it locked so we have no feedback, and no way to see what he thought was wrong.

I know I am coming across the like a ninny quibbling over a measly point. Maybe I am a ninny. But, I can accept losing points when I know that I missed something, or didn't have the concept...but this seems like arbitrarily taking a point away for no good reason. I demand a recount! I sent an email asking if there is a reason the quizzes are locked up once they are graded. I certainly think it assists the learning process to see where one went wrong. And it is helpful to "learn" the teacher, his quirks and tendencies.

But back to the good news. I am certain I locked up an A in the last class, and that is something short of amazing!

EDIT: He unlocked the quiz, gave feedback, and just wanted me to expand on a point. He said he would regrade. So all is not lost, and he is back in my graces as a nice guy.

(By the way...I found grade obsessed people like me highly annoying when I was in college. I can't believe I turned into one.)

3 comments:

Sue said...

Jumping up and down, clapping and cheering! Good for you, Dear.

Onward and upward -- no?

Hugs, swan

T said...

Woo-Hoo!!! Way to go, girlfriend!

T, who is happy-dancing in Cincy....Belly and all!

Anonymous said...

WHAT YOU GOT A 96 AND NOT 100!!!!! THERE IS ONLY ONE POSSIBLE WAY TO DEAL WITH THIS. 10 licks with my new black snake whip for each missed percentile. OK, OK, I'm only teasing. How thrilling that after all your hard work and anguish you are rewarded with this result. Congratulations at this milestone along the path to your doctorate. We know how much this means to you and are thrilled to see it come to pass in your life.

All the best:)

Tom

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.