
None of these things is much like the others...
* After two years, my computer had developed many annoying quirks. It would tell me that I didn't have enough memory to pull up another program. (bogus) It would tell me it didn't recognize my email as a valid windows program. (bogus) It would tell my my video drivers were not compatible. (come on) I would see the blue screen of death.(crashes for no apparent reason) I was dealing with numerous restarts to get the computer just to work for more than 30 minutes...but the final straw came when it stopped working with the software I needed for the required "chat" part of my online class. I had to start going to class on my SOs computer...and that just was not practical for me or fair for him.
I called an online fix it place, and after 5 minutes of searching my computer's registry and error files, they recommended the nuclear option---wipe the drive and start over. There were some serious errors that would take hours to untangle with no guarantee that the computer would work any better. I spent last weekend backing up data...and then I pushed the hidden red button that wiped the drive and thus I started over. I still haven't gotten back to where I was, but the computer is working great, and it was certainly worth the pain and trauma.
* I am finishing up Unit 7 of 12 in my current class. I don't know whether this class is easier, or I have just settled down a bit. I spend long hours completing assignments, but I am not nearly as stressed as usual about school. I am feeling burned out though, and I wish I could take a break next quarter, but it's not in the cards. I need to take the next round offered.
* I also need to get a new car, and soon. My current car still has some body damage from the tree incident a month or so ago. (A large tree fell near my car and its branches did some damage.) The car is eight years old, and the insurance company is contemplating totaling it vs repairing it. I have been thinking about a replacement car for sometime. I have gone two summers without air conditioning, and last summer was terrible here.
I really wanted to get a mini suv thing like a Rav4 or a Tuscan...but with gas being the way it is...I am going to get a small gas efficient car instead. I wish I could afford a hybrid, but I don't think I will be able to swing something like a Prius...The car gets looked at Tuesday by the insurance company, and then I will know how much time I have to make a choice.
* Adding a car payment will affect my budget in an unhappy way, especially since I won't be eligible for a student loan this fall. My option to remain eligible for a loan would be to take two courses together, and I don't think I could do that. Especially since one of the classes would be a pharmacology course which is known to be extremely difficult. I was planning on not taking that one at all since it was not a required course. So: keep life sane academically vs keep life sane financially. Tough call.
* I filed taxes late but should be getting my refund and stimulus check soon. I am thinking about putting it all on credit card debt. I would like to hang on to it as reserve emergency cash, but I have one card that is especially out of hand, and it's costing me $50 a month in interest alone. Putting refund money towards that debt will only halve it...but it might be the wisest move financially.
* Nothing much else to report.
Tangerine Out!

1 comment:
Tangerine, I don't know how this managed to be up here for a week without my having noticed it. It seems your life continues apace (which for you is generally a frantic pace). Doctoral programs are such amazing professionl hazing experiences. This seems interminable to us as friends. I can only imagine what is is like for you.
I don't know if I have much to add in response to this anthology of life dynamics other than that we wrestled with the need to buy a fuel economical, inexpensive, quality car just about a year ago now. We found a car for swan that we really are enjoying a lot. In fact we became so enamored of it that two weeks later I traded in my older larger car for a second one just like it. Both of these cars are KIA Rio5's. They are small but very well engineered to maximize space, have a lot of amenities, and are very comfortable for a small car. They perform and handle well. In fact we actually really enjoy driving them. But more importantly they are vry fuel economical and come with a 60,000 mile bumper to bumper waranty and a 100,000 mile drive train warrenty. We are getting 38 miles per gallon on the highway and 32 mpg in town with our two. The other factor was cost. Each of ours was about $14,000.00. You can buy them for less. We went for the nicer model with more comfort features/amenities. So for about $9000 to $10,000 less than a Prius, we are getting exceptional mileage and enjoying our new cars. If we have a large item to bring home rather than using our larger Hyundai Sonata we use one of the little KIA's. The hatch back construction with the back seat down gives us surprisingly large and utilitarian cargo space. Sue generally keeps her back seat down all the time in that she rarely ever has anyone ride in the back seat, and it makes it easier hauling her school stuff. We love pulling up to the pump after drving a lot all week, with the gas guage on the back side of empty and filling up with 9 and a half gallons:)
OK now I've done it. I've actually just posted a car commercial on a Blog. I'm turning into an old fat vanilla grandpa before my very eyes:) I'd better find someone to spank quick:)
All the best and congratualtions on your determination to live through and excel in this course of study. I know that this Blog post is a sign that age related hearing loss cannot be far behind for me:) It will be good having a wonderful professional who is a friend to turn to to help me through that.
I hope you both had a good Memorial Day weekend.
All the best:)
Tom
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.
Post a Comment