Saturday, June 14, 2008

I read the news today...oh boy

My name is Tangerine, and I am a news junkie. I am a news junkie to the point that it is affecting my life. The past few weeks, I have been thinking about going on a news "fast"...no radio/TV/internet news for two weeks...but, like any junkie...I know I can't do it.

June 3rd, Obama finally, officially, clinched the nomination. Then I thought I could let go. There would be no more primaries (hey Obama is ahead with 1% of the vote in!!!) But then Hillary didn't seem like she was going to quit. Then the following Saturday she did...if Hillary can do it I can do it, I thought.

But I kept with my routine. I woke up to Morning Joe, and listened to that until I got into my car, where I picked up with Air America...either the end of Bill Press, or beginning of Lionel. When I got to work I switched to NPR, Diane Reams, then at noon when I searched out lunch, Eddie Schultz had taken over the XM airwaves. When I left for home, I caught Randi Rhodes. Once home, I watched the last half of Hardball, which rolled into Race for the White House, then I could catch the first half of Hardball. By 8pm, you'd think I would have had enough...but no, Keith Olbermann comes on, and that is, like, required viewing. Sometimes I hung around for more rehash with Dan Abrams. Ten pm there is nothing on, and I am exhausted. But I rally for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, then bed with AM Coast to Coast lulling me to sleep with alien invasions and conspiracy theories.

It's not to the point where I turn down social events to stay home and watch. But if I am home, and not sleeping or studying...the TV is on MSNBC and I am following the commentary.

The news has been really bad lately. My parents grew up in Iowa, and I grew up in Wisconsin. My parent's hometown is partially underwater. I look at Court Street, a popular part of Des Moines with great coffee shops and bars...and it's all flooded. Lake Delton is near Wisconsin Dells, about 40 miles from where I grew up. There has been video all week of homes being lifted and forced to join the flow of the river. There was the Earthquake in China, and the tornado in Myanmar. There were the four boy scouts at leadership camp who were killed in another storm. Gas prices are over $4, which is driving up food prices and putting massive financial pressure on the trucking industry and the airlines. And then yesterday, more shocking and sad news...Tim Russert collapsed while recording voice overs for Meet the Press, and died later that day. Still today, I tear up when I see tributes to him on MSNBC, and I think about what an awful Father's Day it will be for Maureen and Luke.

So this steady diet of news, and often bad news is really affecting my outlook on life. I feel sad and depressed. Last week, I tried to lay off some of the news. I probably can't give up Morning Joe or Countdown. And it's not an option to give up the Daily Show...but I found a way to cut back. I took my iPod with me in the car and listened to a book on tape. I got caught up in the story, and was able to listen when I got home. I did chores with the book on instead of the TV. I can't say I notice that much of a difference yet, but maybe I can try news in moderation. I can still know what is going on in the world without letting it dominate my non-school non-work head space.

So anyhow, one day at a time...fake it till you make it...I can moderate my news intake... maybe.

2 comments:

T said...

I am right with you. When I am not watching POLITICS, I am listening to XM. And when I am not listening to Press, Maddow, Shultz, et all I am online with DailyKos and HuffPo.

Some days, it would be nice to stop...but I am afraid I would miss something great....sigh

T, the news junkie

Shhhhh.... said...

I just left Huff Po and Hardball is on...my fast is not happening...