Today was a beautiful summer day. It wasn't too warm nor too cool. I am sure many spend the day outdoors having picnics, at the zoo, or at the beach...I wanted to spend the day puttering around the house and getting some reading done for school. But it was not too be.
I woke up with a headache. I thought it was a blood sugar thing, but it didn't go away after I ate something. In fact, throughout the day it slowly amped up until by 1pm, I was nauseous and could hardly move. Even looking towards a window letting in the bright light was too much. The sun reflecting off parked cars sent hot brightness to the epicenter of my pain.
It was hard to take a nap, but I was able to escape for awhile that way. The thing is, usually when you wake up, the pain is still front and center.
I began to get migraines in my late 30s and it took me awhile to see a pattern. Migraine....a week goes by....Menstrual Period. I have gone off formal birth control, and that has seemed to help. I can't remember the last time I had a headache like this. I thought maybe they were going to disappear as mysteriously they came into my life. But not today.
I seem to have the headache in remission for now...but even tapping at the keyboard threatens to bring it back. I guess I am in fear mode. Don't do too much. Don't tempt fate with false bravado.
Today was a lovely beautiful day...but not for anyone who spent it with a migraine.
I am going off to breathe now....

4 comments:
Swan and I are both migraine suffererererers... Mine are often weather related. Swan's have a more frequent pattern. We were both on Topamax as a preventative med, but have grown to HATE the side-effects and have titrated off. Migraines still plague us both, but we have Imitrex and Amerge, when desperate. To not use the meds, we head for bed and sleep, sometimes icepacks, and sometimes banana peels...but that makes Tom laugh.
I sympathize and wish I could help.
T
banana peels???
The banana peel trick is one I used to try years ago, before I found any meds that helped. It is pretty simple... Take a banana, remove the peel (best if you end up with two pretty even halves). It really doesn't matter what you do with the banana, but you take the two pieces of peel, and lay one on your forehead and one on the back of your neck -- gooey side against the skin. Fasten them so they will stay put -- scarves or bananas work well. Then go lie down. It usually takes about an hour and the migraine frequently is gone. It is an inexpensive approach, and worth a try, assuming you have a partner who won't make you insane laughing at you...
swan
Why on earth would this work??? Does it humiliate the migraine so it simply just goes away?
Someone at work has me on CO Q-10. I'll let you know...
Post a Comment