Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Semi-Return of Heathcliff


So, the story continues. Heathcliff is sort of, and unexpectedly...back.

As the Brady's say, 'here's the story'.

I am a politics addict. I wake up to morning joe, check huff po & daily beast through out the day, come home to Hardball, stay on for Ed, check in with Keith, and hang out till the end of Rachel...Then the Daily Show, followed of course by Colbert during which I mostly fall asleep. I don't sit glued to the TV the entire time, but it's often on in the background.

So there was a news day of outrage a couple of weeks ago. I called my partner to vent, but I could tell he wasn't into the latest stupid thing so and so said, or what's his name did. Nobody at work cared either. My friends are not addicted as I am. (Read: they have healthy media boundaries.)  But there was one person in my life whom I know to also be a news addict--Heathcliff.

So after weeks of no mail to or from him...I sent him a note documenting the latest from the Republican Slime machine. I told him no one in my world cared much about such things, but that I knew he did and I lamented "but you don't want to talk to me anymore".

And that changed it. He wrote back right away...giving his in depth analysis on the points I had outlined. And saying he was sorry he was "out of touch"....which was quite the understatement. Out of touch? More like off the planet.

But the email relationship appears to be back. And it's good. I mean, at least it's contact?

I am still too happy when an email comes. And too disappointed when one doesn't...But the thing I could not understand was why after being so close we had to act as total strangers now.

My partner thinks things are not over at all. He believes that the bond between Heathcliff and I is most definitely still there and always will be to some degree. It has lead to some funny converations.

Me: Heathcliff wrote me again.

Boyfriend: What did he say?

Me: That Obama is sending more troops to Afghanistan.

Boyfriend: How romantic.

Me: Well....YOU didn't write to tell me that Obama was sending more troops!

Boyfriend: *eye roll*

So...the boat seems righted for now. I am not going to do anything stupid like suggest Heathcliff and I get together for a beer, or dinner, or to drink a bottle of wine and watch a dvd. Email is enough.

And while my wistful soul wishes for more, it is content that he is at least, even if in a very small fragile way...back.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I'm with your partner (how odd to refer to him in that abstract way), that this connection is still clearly alive. What it means is hard to discern. Perhaps it is enough to enjoy it where it is?

swan