Monday, September 6, 2010

Cyber Battle


The last couple of weeks online, I have found myself in flamewars with various trolls and tea-party types.  In my long relationship with the internet I can not recall a time where I have crossed swords with so many in such a short space of time.

It started on FB with someone whom I have not had a lot of personal contact, but who is a person in an extended local community.  She posted some political things in regard to the Obama Boy Scout "controversy" and the Arizona Immigration law, over which we had a few exchanges from opposite points of view.  It really heated up when she posted a hysterical" Obama is a Muslim--It's TRUE" post.  This one, I found particularly annoying...and I just could not let it pass without comment.

In that and other discussions, I find myself searching the internet for credible news sources to back up my opinion or disprove other's claims, which of course...is a huge waste of time.  I need to spend the time scouring the internet for sources for my massive paper...not to support arguments, which regardless of the facts are not going to change this person's mind in the least.

I tried to tone things down with her, because, truly...I have better things to do than argue with a representative of the Tea Party.

But then it happened on Live Journal over a comment I made in someone else's journal about Alveda King speaking at Beck's rally.  And now today, on FB in a musician's forum some jerk has singled me out for attack for just objecting to the way someone received a credit.

I have looked back on my posts.  I do not think they are inflammatory or impolite, yet I draw unwanted attention from Trolls who want to fling feces around rather than have an intelligent debate.  In fairness, in some of the political arguments, others come forward who share my opinion.  And others are certainly targeted.

It's just that I normally have avoided the fray, and I can't figure out why I am suddenly getting drawn into battle.  Maybe I stand up for what I think is right now.  Maybe the culture is so absolutely divided that everyone is getting attacked. Maybe I am posting in a way that particularly sets other's off.  Or maybe these people are just jerks looking to pick a fight and get some attention.

Sometimes I feel compelled to clarify or defend a stance, sometimes I try to sow peace by finding commonalities, and sometimes it's just best to just lay down the sword and walk away.  I think the wisdom is probably in the latter, but I am at a point in life where it's difficult to let bullies or the brainwashed just get away with it.

It's probably still a waste of time.

1 comment:

Sue said...

I don't think that it is ever a waste of time to speak the truth. Narrow-minded idiots have way more power than they ought to precisely because so many bright, well-informed, thoughtful people remain silent in the face of their foolishness. I do not know what the next weeks will bring in terms of the political situation in this country, but it is my belief that we have to keep on keeping the faith. I am sorry that, in doing that, you are feeling beat up and bullied.

hugs, swan