Last week was a bit of a blur. I spent Monday and Tuesday in a migraine haze of misery. I need to see a Dr. about getting medication before the next one hits. One dr. gave me samples (instead of the prescription I begged for), which worked great with last months migraine...but the same stuff didn't even touch the beast I dealt with on Monday. Or if they did touch it...I can't imagine what unmedicated would have felt like.
My partner's son has settled down after his last incident. We don't know what really happened, although I still lean towards the "took some freaky drug" theory. It does seem like this kid has something organic that is contributing to his issues. He has been evaluated by at least two psychologists, and also by one social worker who specialized in ADD kids, and no one has a label to hand us. I hate to have him labeled on the one hand...but on the other, it might help us know which direction to try. We are blind when it comes to his needs, and the mystery of what makes him tick.
It's Father's Day, and of course, my sweetie has not heard a word from him. So that makes at least two birthdays and one Father's Day that have been totally unacknowledged. I just sent Son an email telling him that Father's Day has 63 minutes left, and I know his dad would really appreciate a call...but...whatever. I am sure his mother didn't hear anything from him on Mother's Day either.
We spent the weekend at a festival. Ohio had it's first Burn, which was a local version of Nevada's one and only "Burning Man" festival. There are people called "burners" who travel to these regional events, so we had Zombies from Pennsylvania, as well as people from Denver and New York City. I will try to write more about it later, but I am still kind of processing.
I have one week of freedom left before school starts again. I remember feeling so bereft after my last class ended...and I now I look back and say...what was I thinking??? Not being in school is GREAT! It's probably not a good idea to take the second hardest class of the whole program in summer, but that is when it is next offered, and I really want to get it over with. Unfortunately, our other major festival vacation falls in the first month of this next class, and I am not going to take anything to study there. I tried that last time, and it made vacation a lot less fun. I will cram that week's lesson in before or after Starwood week.
Okay...I am starting to bore myself with the details of my life. I am going to go to bed and read more Ya Ya's in Bloom. No one does southern dysfunctional families quite like Rebbecca Wells...
Nighty night.
Sunday, June 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Having a "label" for what's wrong can be just as bad as not having one, if that "label" is incorrect in any way.
And from what I've seen, most psychiatrists and social workers are unwilling to really work to find out what's wrong with you. They expect you to tell them. Which can be a problem, if you don't know yourself what's wrong. Even if they are willing to really work to find out what's wrong, it does take quite a bit more than just a one session evaluation, because diagnosing these kinds of problems requires input from the patient -- who generally doesn't warm up enough to a stranger to talk about these kinds of things for several weeks worth of sessions, if they ever do.
Personally, I went through a decade and a half of therapists and doctors who mis-labelled me, and thus mis-treated my illness. It did a lot more harm than good.
Besides, that something organic that's wrong with the son... It may not be anything that has a label. It might just be what I like to call "I'm lost in life, and don't know how to find my way on my own" (something that I think a vast majority of young people are affected by these days), or the "I have angst/trauma from my childhood that I never got over, and its gotten out of control, and I don't know what to do now" syndrome (that many children from divorces suffer from) -- in which case, no medications are needed. Just weekly appointments with a good understanding therapist.
In anycase, if you need someone to talk to about anything, maybe try and give some insight, or just be a shoulder -- I'm here.
I realized my email isn't published anywhere (intentionally of course), so here it is:
sbashaw(at)cyberlifelabs(dot)com
Two things:
First, in spite of the fact that I insist on calling him the "creepy therapist guy," the one that I dealt with in the late winter was pretty good, and I dealt with lots of not good ones with my own wild child... So I do know the difference. If you decide to go that route, I can give you his name.
Secondly, I don't know what you take for migraines, or might be thinking about taking, but if you are interested in the preventative "value" of topamax and the pros and cons of that approach, I'd be happy to talk to you about that as well.
hugs, swan
Post a Comment