Remember when I told you how the whole "coming out" issue to my friend grew out of a conversation about two male musicians who were in a poly relationship that she had invited to play at her dance party? It turns out that is the part of the conversation that my friend E is obsessing about. No, not the poly part...the part where I told her the lead musician might not make her party because he will likely have a paying gig that night, and that the other more introverted musician might not come to something he percieved to be too mainstream (i.e. a party in Suburbia).The next day I had two emails from her with links to articles written about her avant garde author father and details about her bohemian upbringing in the liberal enclave of Our Fair City. I knew the "mainstream" comment had struck some sort of nerve. I tried to assuage her fears by telling her, even if she once was maintream they would have made her turn in her credentials by now. End of story...
Only no...today I get this:
I'm mildly obsessing on the "too mainstream" concept, and started to write an entertaining email to you explaining how we vote Democrat (always have, always will) and how we both come from union backgrounds (my parents were both teachers; his a coal miner and a textile worker for a while) and we "got over" the liberal guilt of living in a nice house in Amberley by giving money to certain charities and doing volunteer work and blah blah blah.
Then I decided this would be a much more amusing conversation to have in person (obviously with alcohol). So we need to go drinking again. (oh darn)
In the meantime, enjoy your private time this weekend!
I was going to mess with her, and tell her that if she was really alternative, they would support the Green Party...but I knew that that could send her over the edge, and I might further be bombarded with her counter culture resume.
Instead I sent her this:
E, my darling...
I do NOT consider you mainstream in the least. What I said was something like "It's hard to get Bill to go to something he perceives as too mainstream. And yes, I think he would perceive your house in Amberly as mainstream...
But...
#1 There would have to be some cognitive dissonance with your sordid tribal belly dance persona and your ribold humor.
#2 Even if he still thinks you mainstream...who cares what he thinks???
Just in case you feel you may be getting sucked into some sort of mainstream suburbia mindfuck, then my advice would be to get yourself a catsuit. Here is the link:
http://www.imp-of-satan.com/
However, I am up to a drink anytime, anyplace. Let me know when you are free....
Good Grief!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment