I went to my friendly Planned Parenthood Center to pick up some "supplies" which is code for b-i-r-t-h c-o-n-t-r-o-l. My crappy health insurance (which is $400 a month) has a $50 co-pay for birth control, which is of course, a ridiculously high price to pay. So I went to PP, where they value choices in life, and try to hold the cost of birth control down, so we all can afford it, and thus not further populate the Earth with unwanted children.
Only today, instead of the $20 bill I was expecting...they informed me that because I actually have health insurance (even though it is crappy and the copay is higher than the cost of the method) that my "supplies" would now be $31 a month.
WHAT???
This is crazy. I am being punished for having health insurance, even though it does not help me at all on birth control. And the cost suddenly goes up by over 1/3?
People...listen. Birth Control should be cheap and easy to get. The Earth has enough children. We can't take care of all the people who already exist here. God wants us to be responsible stewards and not bring more (unwanted) humans in to the picture. The easier it is to get birth control, the less need there is for that other "procedure", and you know what I am talking about.
This feels like another right wing conspiracy...up the price of birth control so only the rich can afford it, and restrict abortions as much as possible, so again, only the rich can afford it.
I can understand the cost of a product covering research and development...but this type of birth control has been around a long time. The R&D has been paid for...many times over.
I am middle class, but $31 a month to stay not pregnant is a lot for me. Boyfriend helps with the cost, but still, this is now a significant monthly expense.
I am going to see if I can find a pharmacy in Canada or somewhere on the net...I want to support PP, but I can't afford to at that price.
Damn...what is wrong with this country??? Our health care situation is in crises. We don't value our citizens....And those you think might be most willing to "help and care for the poor" turn a callous heart towards them. (i.e. certain so called "Christians")
This sucks...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Found my here from a link on another blog.
What!!!! It's not free in USA!!!!!
Not that I need it any more, but yet another reason added to my list of reasons why I don't want to live in the US.
Frequently discuss the shortcomings of the Health/Jobs situations over here and over there, and although our NationalHealth Service ain't what it used to be....birth control is free to anyone who needs it. (And if the blokes will go to clinics they can get condoms for free as well!)
And it doesn't matter on your income level here..it is free no matter what.
I looked up where you live. YES! Birth control should be free!
I don't know if Michael Moore's Sicko is playing over there, but it highlights how crazy health care is in the US. My friend's English husband said the British system is not the panacea that Michael paints it to be...buy it looks much better than what we have. My partner had no insurance, and I pay a lot a month to have almost everything denied. Argh!
Post a Comment