Wednesday, January 3, 2007

the next twelve weeks



The syllabus for my next class is up. This is the class that makes people quake. This is the class that people fail. This is the class that those who have been through it shake their heads in pity at the ones who must take it next. (And we all must take it.) At first, I didn't think it looked that bad.

Okay, there is a ton of reading. And two quizzes a week. And a short essay each week. Then I found the huge research project. And the discussion board where you are invited to participate. And the stuff do to when the class doesn't meet for discussion. And so on and so on...

What I need to do, of course, is completely immerse myself in the material. I need to let go of the idea of a social life, and cut back on my dancing stuff.

Except there are three tribal classes, I feel I need to take, or I will fall behind my friends who are taking all of them. And I am a core member of a new troupe who is getting ready to dance at least seven gigs this Spring. And then there is all the stuff I like to do in my spare time, like read, blog, and watch movies. And a life partner with whom I desire to maintain a relationship.

Oh I don't know. At least I don't have children. Some people work full time, take this class, and have a family to manage.

I am going to do what I can. If I can't handle the extra things in my life, I will drop them. I will have to. I want an A for this class, or as close as I can get. I do NOT want to have to take it again or decide to abandon my doctorate because of a teacher who wants to toss out a challenge.

icandoiticandoiticandoiticandoit

No comments: